Friday, October 8, 2010

To Write or Not to Write

I love stories. I love to read stories, I love to hear stories. When I was little, I used to get in trouble for reading in bed when I was supposed to be sleeping. I think I actually read “Little House in the Big Woods” by Laura Ingalls Wilder entirely under my blankets (with a flashlight) when I was in second grade because I loved to read so much.

When I got to junior high and high school, I learned that not only did I love reading, but I loved writing as well. I never minded writing papers, because I found that I could express myself through papers much better than expressing myself orally. I pretty much lived in fear of speeches. I took physics my senior year of high school instead of speech class, not because I really had any interest in physics, but because I was NOT going to spend an entire school year in terror because I had to speak in front of a group of people.

But the real fear wasn’t speaking in front of people. The real fear was what people thought. I was terrified of what people thought of me. I still am. I want so much for people to like me that in some ways, it paralyzes me. I know that I should do certain things, but I don’t, because I wonder what someone will think .... which brings me to why I started writing this blog.

For several years, I have thought about starting a blog. But almost as soon as the idea of starting a blog enters my head, the nagging thought, “What will people think?” follows soon after. That thought has kept me from writing until now. Over the past several weeks, the Lord has been convicting me about so many different things. One of those things is not living in fear of people, but in the fear of Him. Almost as soon as I realized that I was fearing people more than I feared Him, it was as though He told me, “you need to write”. So, here I am … writing a blog. A blog that, hopefully, will point others to Christ.

1 comment:

Twinkle Star said...

I love your writing! Don't worry what others might think of you. You're right, we should fear the Lord more than men. This morning I was reminded of the same thing as I read Isaiah 8:12-13.